According to homethodology, Hanford, California is a small city located in the San Joaquin Valley in Kings County. It has a population of approximately 55,000 people. The geography of the area consists mostly of flat land, with some rolling hills and mountain ranges located to the east and south. The climate is generally hot and dry during summer months, while winters are mild with occasional rain and snow.
The history of Hanford dates back to the late 1800s when it was a small agricultural town focused on producing fruit, vegetables, dairy products, and livestock. As time passed, the city grew due to its proximity to major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. Today, Hanford is home to many industries including food processing plants, aerospace manufacturing companies, healthcare facilities, and retail establishments.
The politics of Hanford are dominated by conservative values as evidenced by voter registration patterns in recent years. This is reflected in the city’s policies on taxes, public education funding levels, and crime prevention strategies.
The economy of Hanford is largely based on agriculture but also includes other sectors such as healthcare services, aerospace manufacturing companies and retail stores. The local school district provides quality education for K-12 students in both public schools as well as private institutions such as Fresno Pacific University or California State University Fresno-Hanford Campus.
Hanford has several landmarks which serve as reminders of its long history including the historic downtown area with its nineteenth century buildings that still remain intact today; Pioneer Park; The Hanford Fox Theatre; The Civic Center Plaza; The Kings County Courthouse; St John’s Cathedral; The Carnegie Building; The Clock Tower; And the Kings County Museum which houses artifacts from early settlers who came to this area many years ago.
Population: 41,686. Estimated population in July 2020: 47,485 (+13.9% change)
Males: 20,411 (49.0%), Females: 21,275 (51.0%)
Zip codes: 93230.
Median resident age: 30.9 years
Median household income: $37,582
Median house value: $102,900
Races in Hanford:
- White Non-Hispanic (49.9%)
- Hispanic (38.7%)
- Other race (20.8%)
- Two or more races (5.7%)
- Black (5.0%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
- Filipino (1.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (8.5%), Portuguese (7.5%), Irish (7.4%), English (6.5%), United States (4.6%), Italian (2.9%).
Elevation: 247 feet
Land area: 13.1 square miles
Hanford, California is a small city located in the Central Valley region of California. It has a population of approximately 56,000 people and is the county seat of Kings County. The population is primarily composed of young families, retirees, and college students. The median age for Hanford’s population is 28.3 years old and the average household size is about 2.6 people per household. The city boasts an ethnically diverse population with over 30% of its citizens being Hispanic or Latino origin and 10% being African American or Native American descent. In addition, Hanford has a large immigrant population with over 16% born outside of the United States.
The economy in Hanford is diverse with many small businesses thriving in the area such as restaurants, retail stores, and service-based businesses like auto repair shops and salons. Agriculture also makes up a significant portion of the local economy with many farms located around the city limits providing fresh produce to residents year round. Hanford also supports a strong tourism industry due to its close proximity to Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Forest which draw visitors from all over the country each year.
Hanford’s public school system serves students from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade who attend five elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school as well as several alternative education centers for those who need specialized attention. In addition to these educational facilities, Hanford also offers several parks including a skate park and a community center which host recreational activities for all ages throughout the year such as movie nights and special events like summer concerts in the park series that bring music to downtown Hanford from May through September each year.
For population 25 years and over in Hanford
- High school or higher: 74.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 11.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hanford city
- Never married: 24.8%
- Now married: 55.9%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 9.6%
13.6% Foreign born (10.2% Latin America, 2.3% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +11,091 (+36.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Hanford:
- CENTRAL VALLEY GENERAL HOSPITAL (1025 N DOUTY ST)
- HANFORD COMMUNITY MEDICAL CENTER (450 GREENFIELD AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Hanford:
- KINGSBURG MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; KINGSBURG, CA)
- SELMA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SELMA, CA)
- CORCORAN DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; CORCORAN, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hanford:
- VISALIA MUNI (about 19 miles; VISALIA, CA; Abbreviation: VIS)
- FRESNO YOSEMITE INTERNATIONAL (about 31 miles; FRESNO, CA; Abbreviation: FAT)
- MEADOWS FIELD (about 75 miles; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Abbreviation: BFL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hanford:
- HANFORD MUNI (about 3 miles; HANFORD, CA; Abbreviation: HJO)
- SELMA (about 17 miles; SELMA, CA; Abbreviation: 0Q4)
- CORCORAN (about 17 miles; CORCORAN, CA; Abbreviation: CRO)
HANFORD (200 SANTA FE AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Hanford:
- LAWRENCE AND CO COLLEGE OF COSMETOLOGY (Location: 810 N 10TH AVE; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hanford:
- COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS (about 23 miles; VISALIA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,295)
- REEDLEY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; REEDLEY, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,344)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-FRESNO (about 29 miles; FRESNO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 16,035)
- FRESNO CITY COLLEGE (about 29 miles; FRESNO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 10,741)
- WEST HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; COALINGA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
- PORTERVILLE COLLEGE (about 48 miles; PORTERVILLE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,288)
- BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE (about 80 miles; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Full-time enrollment: 7,978)
Public high schools in Hanford:
- HANFORD HIGH (Students: 1,749; Location: 120 E. GRANGEVILLE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- HANFORD WEST HIGH (Students: 1,731; Location: 1150 W. LACEY BLVD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- JOHNSON (EARL F.) HIGH (CONT.) (Students: 184; Location: 1201 N. DOUTY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- KINGS COUNTY COMMUNITY (Students: 143; Location: 11835 S. 11TH AVE.; Grades: 07 – 12)
- HANFORD HIGH NIGHT (CONT.) (Students: 33; Location: 1201 N. DOUTY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- HANFORD JT. UNION HIGH COMMUNITY DAY (Students: 23; Location: 120 E. GRANGEVILLE BLVD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Hanford:
- HANFORD EDUCATION CENTER (Students: 23; Location: 223 E NINTH PO BOX 1228; Grades: 1 – 12)
- VALLEY OAKS CHRISTIAN (Students: 6; Location: 1203 CAMPUS DR.; Grades: 2 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Hanford:
- PIONEER ELEMENTARY (Students: 814; Location: 8810 14TH AVE.; Grades: KG – 05)
- KINGS RIVER-HARDWICK ELEMENTARY (Students: 643; Location: 10300 EXCELSIOR AVE.; Grades: KG – 08)
- KENNEDY (JOHN F.) JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 592; Location: 1000 E. FLORINDA ST.; Grades: 07 – 08)
- KING (MARTIN LUTHER JR) ELEMENTARY (Students: 565; Location: 820 HUME AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)
- JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 556; Location: 511 W. MALONE ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
- WILSON (WOODROW) JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 554; Location: 600 W. FLORINDA ST.; Grades: 07 – 08)
- RICHMOND (LEE) ELEMENTARY (Students: 554; Location: 939 KATIE HAMMOND ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
- WASHINGTON (GEORGE) ELEMENTARY (Students: 542; Location: 1245 N. FAIRMONT; Grades: KG – 06)
- LINCOLN ELEMENTARY (Students: 502; Location: 807 S. IRWIN ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
- JOSEPH M. SIMAS (Students: 502; Location: 1875 FITZGERALD; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Hanford:
- ST. ROSE-THOMAS MCCARTHY SCHOO (Students: 207; Location: 1000 N HARRIS ST; Grades: KG – 8)
- HANFORD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 159; Location: 11948 FLINT AVE; Grades: KG – 8)
- WESTERN CHRISTIAN ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 143; Location: 1594 W GRANGEVILLE BLVD; Grades: KG – 8)
- MASTERS COMMUNITY SCHOOL (Students: 57; Location: 323 E 11TH ST; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Hanford:
- KINGS COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,125,935; Location: 401 N. DOUTY ST.; 190,765 books; 666 audio materials; 2,223 video materials; 240 serial subscriptions)