Studying in Canada

School System

Since the provinces are responsible for the education system, there are differences in the educational system of the individual provinces. The standard of education in Canada is very high compared to other western countries.

Compulsory schooling begins at the age of 5. Then the children visit the “Kindergarden”, which is located in the rooms of the elementary school. Most Kindergarden programs only last 2.5 hours a day.

There is no free choice of school because every school has its own catchment area. Every child is entitled to a place in the school in the catchment area. However, it is possible to apply to attend another school. An exception are the private and denominational schools, which can be attended regardless of where you live.

Private schools often charge very high school fees. Typical fees in the Greater Vancouver area range from $ 1,000- $ 1,500 per month for private schools. Denominational schools are usually a little cheaper, but they also charge school fees and you have to be a member of an appropriate church community.

In every province, many schools also have a French branch, in which exactly the same material is taught as in the English counterpart, but in French. This is called the Early French Immersion Program and begins in the Kindergarden. Since the rush to these programs is very high, but the number of places is limited, the places are usually awarded by lottery. Here, too, there are corresponding catchment areas for French schools.

In addition to the main courses, many electives are also offered. For example drama, computer courses, art, works and instrumental lessons. Sport is also capitalized in. Each school has its own sports team. Volleyball, basketball, baseball and especially football are popular team games. There is also a school band that gives concerts several times a year.

All Canadian schools are all-day schools. After completing the 12th grade, students receive their high school diploma. To be admitted to university, one must have attended high school advanced courses in English / French and science. Very good grades are a prerequisite for courses such as law, medicine and engineering.

Attending college or university is not free. Tuition fees are charged and vary by province and university. However, there are government programs (such as the Registered Education Savings Plan – RESP) that enable families to start saving for children’s education at an early age.

Road traffic

In Canada you drive on the right-hand side. The road network is very extensive and well maintained. In many parts of the country it is mandatory to drive with lights on during the day. In addition, it is mandatory to wear seat belts.

Canada – Canada

Visa: no
Vaccinations: no
Baker Lake (YBK)
Cambridge Bay (YCB)
Charlottetown (YHG)
Coral Harbor (YZS)
Edmonton-alle-Airports (YEA)
Edmonton – City Center Airport (YXD)
Edmonton (YEG)
Fredericton (YFC)
Gjoa Haven (YHK)
Hamilton – Ontario (YHM)
Havre St. Pierre (YGV)
Inuvik (YEV)
Iqaluit (YFB)
Ivujivik (YIK)
London International (YXU)
Montreal (YUL)
Montreal – Mirabel International Airport (YMX)
Montreal – St. Hubert (YHU)
Ottawa (YOW)
Prince Rupert (YPR)
Puvirnituq (YPX)
Quebec (YQB)
Regina (YQR)
Sachs Harbor (YSY)
Saint John (YSJ)
Toronto-all-Airports (YTO)
Toronto City Center (YTZ)
Toronto Buttonville (YKZ)
Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
Toronto Downsview (YZD)
Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
Toronto Union Station (YBZ)
Victoria International (YYJ)
Winnipeg (YWG)
Yellowknife (YZF) National
language: English, French
Currency: Canadian dollar ($), CAD (1 $ = 100 cents)
Exchange rates:
1 EUR = 1.53 CAD
1 CAD = 0.65 EUR
1 CHF = 1.41 CAD
1 CAD = 0.71 CHF
(rate from 02/22/2021)
Telephone area code: +1
time zone: UTC −3.5 to −8
Current: 110/120 volts, 60 Hz

In Canada you drive on the right-hand side. The road network is very extensive and well maintained. In many parts of the country it is mandatory to drive with lights on during the day. In addition, it is mandatory to wear seat belts.

Traffic signs are similar to those in Germany. Speed ​​regulations and distances are marked in km / h and meters or km.

The speed limits should also be adhered to in order to avoid high fines. The general speed limit is: 100 km / h on motorways, 80 km / h on country roads and 50 km / h in built-up areas.

Traffic lights

With the exception of some parts of Québec, you are allowed to turn right at red lights unless otherwise noted. Please note that the traffic lights are on the other side of the intersection.

Driver’s license

In Canada, you can drive for up to three months with the national driver’s license. For longer stays and if you want to rent a car, you should have an international driver’s license.

The international driver’s license allows you to drive a car in Canada for up to one year. If you want to drive a car in Canada for more than a year, you need a Canadian driver’s license.

Driving licenses are issued in the respective area / province in which one resides. Some provinces give a Canadian driver’s license even without a new driving test, based on their national driver’s license.

Import from your own vehicle

In order to import your private vehicle into Canada, you need to research the legality of the import. You should do this in advance at the Ministry of Transportation in the province to which you want to move.

You can only import roadworthy vehicles (according to Canadian standards) up to a certain year. Also, you need to pay import duty and local sales tax.

Vehicle insurance

Insurance is compulsory for every vehicle. You can take out insurance from numerous insurance brokers, some banks and other institutions.

Many companies allow their employees to take out insurance together as a group.

For foreigners, taking out insurance is usually a bit more expensive, as the insurance companies can fall back on few references. Confirmation from your home country’s insurance company can help.

Studying in Canada